Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lots of decisions...

We had our weekly doctor's appointment yesterday.  I didn't know it, but I got to have another ultrasound in order to see how big this kid is.  You can't see much in an ultrasound this late in the game, but we did get to see the side of his face (I have pics, but I haven't scanned them yet), and he has some chubby cheeks!  They also estimated his size using his femur, and the estimation is 9 lbs, 2 oz.  Although this is small for the Hesse family, it's still a pretty good-sized kid, especially considering that's just an estimate, and I don't exactly have the hugest frame!  My blood pressure was also high yesterday (120/94), which concerned the doctor... so he said this kid will be out of me by the end of the week.  The other concern is that although the baby is head down, he's on my right side (he apparently moved within the last two weeks because 2 weeks ago we was on my left side!), and I haven't progressed with my dilation or even thinning out AT ALL.  The doctor asked me how dead set I am on having him vaginally because he's concerned of the baby's shoulders getting stuck (once again, since I apparently have a smaller pelvis than most in my family) and causing problems and unneeded stress to the baby.  I told him I still want to try to have him, so they're going to admit me Thursday at 3:30pm, put some stuff on my cervix to try to assist with thinning that, and then Friday morning, I'll be induced.  The doctor said the only way I'll have him vaginally is if EVERYTHING goes right, otherwise if there are any concerns, I'll have to have a c-section.  Lots of decisions and unknown things, and I somewhat feel selfish for still wanting to try to have him naturally... but we'll see how things go.  Either way, he WILL be here sometime on Friday, which is his due date.  We'll keep you posted, since the hospital does have wireless internet, and I'll be bored Thursday afternoon for sure.

9 comments:

Ben, Kelli, Nicholas and Eli said...

Hugs to all (3) of you! Doctors can often be quick to suggest C-section. I don't think you are being selfish wanting to try to do it vaginally. It is the most natural way for him to come. However, like the Dr. said if anything starts to go wrong, they will play it safe and take you in for a C-section...which at that point might be the safest option for all. We're praying for a safe delivery for both you and the little guy...however he might make his entrance! :)

Cassie D said...

I agree with Kelly that a lot of docs are quick to jump on the c-section band wagon

Jack was 10lb 1oz vaginal delivery.
However he did have shoulder dystocia (shoulder got stuck) and he ended up with a broken collar bone (which was the best thing that could have happend in that situation...we were really fortunate).

It was a scary situation, they called in the NICU nurses and everything. Had he not broken his collar bone he probably wouldn't have been delivered vaginally and we'd have needed an emergency c-section which would have involved having to push him back up the birth canal and could have resulted in ogxygen deprivation or worse....

Based on my experience I will probably opt for a c-section the next time around if the baby is measuring large. I'd rather have a c-section than risk shoulder dystocia again.

The docs had estimated Jack around 8lbs and he was actually 10. Just remember the margin of error at this point is +/- 1lb. There is a whole lotta difference between 7 and 9 lbs.

Remember c-section or vaginal you still get to go home with the best parting gift ever!

Jon and Amy Duvall said...

Good luck! Don't be nervous, it will all go so awesome! I had a c-section, it was emergency, and everything went so well. They really know what they're doing!

Debbie said...

Cassie did a good job of explaining how things could go and her experience with it. t will be good either way (c'mon baby! you've got 24 hours to get here on your own!)

Amy Davison said...

Good luck, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours! Sorry I don't have more to add since I don't have any birthing stories for you :)

Dayna said...

They are quick to pick c-section (told you that at the beginning). But, if you want to have him on your own start crawling! (I am not joking here---you have to get him turned, and crawling on hands and knees is the best way to get him to do that).

Good luck with it all. I will be interested to see what his real size ends up being. As someone else said--the margin of error can be +/- a pound (or more, based on the birth stories here at the Evergreen classes).

Good luck! Also, I am going to send you a blog with my friend's story so you can request certain things should you get a c-section to make the whole thing a little nicer for both of you (based on her experiences with 2 c-sections).

Lacie Johnson said...

Good news!!! This all sounds very similar to my experiance with having Everlee. The doc also said she was a big baby based on measurment of her femur he estimated high 8's she was 9lbs 8 ozs. My family also has large babies. Same about the vaginal delivery also... I tried. They induced me and 20 hours later they took her by c- section. It is not selfish to try, it is your right to attempt to have the birthing experiance you want just dont be upset if it does not go as planned. Good Luck on Thursday I wish you and your new little family all the best!! You will do great and try to enjoy the little time you have left with him because you will have to share him with everyone in no time at all!!

Tanya G. said...

Good Luck... whatever you choose is the right choice for you and however he comes is the right way - it just matters that you are both healthy. Here's hoping he comes on his own tonight, so you don't need to make any decisions!

But if he doesn't, since I have the perspective/experience of having babies both ways, I had to chime in here. In either case, you have the same result... you get to take your baby home. So if you try Friday and things don't work out for you in the end as you always planned or envisioned, that is OK. You still get the gift at the end. Avery was breech and we tried manually turning her at week 41.1 (ouch!), but it just didn't happen and she was not going to come out any other way! :) That wasn't my plan, but Avery had her own plans. I was OK with that.

Don't be scared of a c-section if it comes to that on Friday. The thought of it really is more scary than the actual thing. And, to be honest, my recoveries with Avery and Addison (c sect) were totally easier than mine was with Hunter, so I don't agree that recovery is always harder.

Hope everything goes great for you over the next 2 days!

Kayla and Mike said...

Good Luck to you guys! Go Baby Go!!!