Monday, August 9, 2010

My Dad's Ordination

On July 10, 2010, my dad was ordained at Living Word Lutheran Church in Moses Lake, Wa. I guess that makes me a pastor's kid. :) Before his ordination, he had his questioning, which was done by Jim Nestingen and George Putnam. Jim is a pastor friend and mentor of my dad's, and George is my dad's godfather and uncle. Here they are in front of the congregation for the questioning.
My dad, deep in thought/response to one of many tough questions.
Jim, although deep in thought while listening to dad's responses.
George... once again, deep in thought while questioning dad. I think he did a pretty darn good job!

It wasn't all serious, as you can see.
After the questioning was the actual ordination, which was done by Jim Nestingen as well.
During the laying on of hands, dad requested that Anne, the little girl, also assist because she was the first one to call him "Pastor Lou" several years ago when she wanted to invite him to her school's pastor luncheon (I believe). Also pictured is Pastor Wiser, the pastor that comes from Spokane twice a month to preach at Living Word.

My mom got to put dad's stole around his neck, which was traditionally done by the wife because the wives usually made the first stole while the husband was gone at seminary. Although this wasn't the case, mom still put in on him.

****I'm missing a few pictures... I need to hunt them down, but there will be a few pictures of dad and the other pastors all dressed alike after the ordination was over.****
A nice reception with a roasted pig (hawaiian style) and cake followed. Here's just a good picture of Ruston that I had to post. :)
And also at the reception, Ruston's cousin, Thea, and my third cousin's daughter, Madison. (How many people know their third cousins?!)

Congratulations to my dad. Now he is working on his Master's through the Institute of Lutheran Theology. A bit backwards, but dad already knows soooo much about religion and theology. He's lucky to get to do it all online too. Oh the wonders of technology!!

No comments: